Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Olympics

Everyone else seems to have blogs on the Olympics, which I feel like I have mostly missed this time around. I'm usually a die-hard when it comes to gymnastics and swimming events, but every time I try to watch I get stuck with boxing, wrestling, basketball, or volleyball. So, today I discovered cable has the Olympics on other channels, too. Yeeeaaahhh! After searching for hours just so I could meet my own patriotic Olympics quota, I found something that sounded interesting: Synchronized Swimming. All I can say is I found it quite creepy. Robotic movements of legs (and crotches) in the air with no heads or bodies. It was weird. I didn't like. Now, since I served in the Ukraine, I typically root for the Ukrainians after the U.S. But not to be rude, the Ukrainian swimmers were very manly looking. Whoever designed their head pieces (still talking about synchronized swimming here) must not have liked the girls much, because it made them both look like balding (in the Fryer Tuck sort of balding sense) old men, which made it even creepier. Sad, sad, sad. Not a good start for my Olympics viewing time.

I did catch some reruns of yesterday's gymnastics wins by some of the U.S. girl's team and one U.S. guy. Good save for today. Now that I know the strategy of finding the better events, maybe I can catch some of the better stuff or at least record it on the DVR. Too bad I've missed Michael Phelps wins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can never catch the good events either. And finding when it is on seems impossible too. It all seems to be the luck in the draw. I saw wrestling and boxing too. I feel like such a slacker this year at watching. I haven't seen syncronized swimming since high school when we used to make fun of it.

Ap said...

Well I only saw some late night fencing and the relay races where the US dropped the batons. Oh yeah and the closing ceremonies I have too many thoughts on those to post them as a comment.