Thursday, March 19, 2009

Squeaky Cheese and the Polygamists

My mom and Becca stopped by for a visit on Monday and Tuesday on the way home from visiting my cousins in Arizona. It was a nice, but short little visit. With not much else to do on Tuesday, we decided to go for a little drive to Colorado City (yes, that Colorado City). I've driven past Colorado City a couple of times, but I've never really stopped or driven through the town. But, it turns out they make cheese; even better, they make squeaky cheese (i.e. cheese curds - a family favorite). So, we decided to take the little 35 minute jaunt to check it out.

As expected, the town is full of large to very large, unfinished houses (this is intentional, so they don't have to pay taxes). The women and children are dressed in old-fashioned dresses and attire (bluish gray dresses made from the same pattern are most common among the women and cotton button down shirts for the men and boys). But, in the middle of town, there is a nice big dairy. Since this was truly our destination, of course, we stopped. And the cheese curds were deliciously squeaky (very fresh!). It turns out there is even a small Community College there, too. Very interesting.

But, did you know there are actually two different Polygamist groups in that area? I didn't. If you keep on going another 1/2 - 1 mile or so past Colorado City, there is another completely different Polygamist group in a city call Central. The feeling is very different in Central. The houses are very, very large (mansions) and beautiful and finished! They have huge yards with very nice fences, playhouses, cars, and stuff. The yards and town are all very nicely manicured with expensive landscaping. And the women and children appeared to be dressed in more modern attire. I found this very interesting as well. (Apparently, my mom had seen a special on this group on a talk show or something. I guess they are very educated and modern there. They just simply choose to live a polygamist lifestyle, but they send their kids to college rather than marrying them super young and the kids get to choose whether they want to choose the lifestyle for themselves or not).

Anyway, I guess I have a better understanding of the different types of groups there are. And, although I don't agree with their lifestyle, I can understand them better when I see them at the store or garage sales or whereever. And I can definitely appreciate their cheese!

5 comments:

Three Guys and a Gal said...

I have had you on my mind alot lately. I love the update on your blog. I have been wondering where you moved to! Thats awesome that you got to stay in the ward. I knew you were wanting to!! Keep in touch!! I miss walking with you !!Although I have to admit this area that I am in has some really cool areas to walk in!! Miss you!!

Ap said...

There is nothing better than fresh squeeky cheese. You can't find it here so I'm totally jealous.
Did not realize that there were the two types of ploygamists although now that I think about it, I once worked with a guy who was one of the openminded ones.

MIchelle said...

Sounds like you had a great time with Mom and Becca. I wish I could come down just to visit, but it has been hard to travel with the littlest one.

PDXTingeys said...

My Grandparents live in St. George, so they took us out to the Polygamists to get some cheese. It was definitely a memorable experience. The ice cream out there is good too, if you can get past the smell of the dairy.

Anjella said...

I saw a special on Oprah a while back talking about the differences of the two groups. You can guess which one was a more "healthy" group. It was really interesting to watch!

You know, as long as there is no abuse going on, I don't mind what they believe in or what they are doing, it's their life style. I figure, that is what God put us here on earth to do; to exercise our free agency. I just know it is definitely NOT for me! I aint share'n!


I've never heard of Squeaky cheese either. Is it like cottage cheese?