Monday, November 24, 2008

Ma'am???

Yesterday, as I was walking home from church, a man passing by said, "Hello, Ma'am." Ma'am???...Ma'am??? I didn't realize I had become a Ma'am. What happened to the days when I was called "young lady"? I can't figure out why something so simple bothers me so much. For some reason, Ma'am seems so old to me (and proper). I don't feel like a Ma'am. Unfortunately, I can't think of a better way to be addressed. But, surely, there must be a better way.

Anyway, if you pass me on the street, please don't call me Ma'am. I prefer "young lady" or something younger sounding.

3 comments:

Three Guys and a Gal said...

What in the world you are so not a ma'am. Maybe he was blind or sick in the head!!

MIchelle said...

"Hey hot chick!!!" Is that better? Or perhaps "Hey Lady."

Ap said...

I never acknowledge when someone calls me Ma'am because I know they are either talking to themselves or the 80 year old lady they are imaging behind me. Although there are worse things to be called.